Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Jackson's and Zeytin's (my dog) Favorite Soup

I am very glad that Jackson actually likes healthy stuff unlike his momma. I have a tendency to eat junk food sometimes but, everyday I have less and less craving for them. I weight around 120 lbs., but trust me, I can finish a whole bag of chips or eat 4 slices of bread for breakfast in one sitting. Now of course I'm trying my best to feed him healthy, but it also helps me to eat healthy too. Jackson is completely changing my diet. My little miracle doesn't know how much Mommy appreciates him. So, to make this very simple soup you are going to need:
 
1 big size sweet potato, cut into cubes
1 big or 2 medium-sized carrots, roughly chopped
5 spears of asparagus
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast or thigh (you can make it w/o it too) chopped into cubes as well
2 cups of water
 
Into a mid-size pot, place the chicken and add water. Boil it until the chicken is half way cooked. Next add the potatoes and carrots, let it cook for another 5 minutes and then add the asparagus. Cook for another 5 minutes. With a knife pierce a potato and see if they are all cooked all the way through. Then with my favorite kitchen tool, I use a hand blender (sometimes I think of getting an immersion blender, like I need it in this small kitchen hahaha) and blend it all up. Stir the soup to see if everything is well blended and smooth. Turn the heat off and serve it when it gets a little bit cooler. Also a little something extra you can do. I add an avocado and smash it in after everything is cooked to balance out the sweetness of sweet potato and the carrots, plus it becomes creamier. Avocado is the best fruit for good fatty acids and rich in Potassium, Vitamin B6,C, E, K, Fiber and Folic Acid. I'm pretty sure that everyone in the household including your dog will love it :-). When I make it in big batches I put them into the BPA free breast milk bags and freeze them for later use. Whenever you don't have time to cook up something for your baby or even going to Grandma's house, it helps so much.
 
Enjoy!!! :-)
 
Eda 


2 comments: